Learn about CSK vs GT match result along with key match highlights, man of the match, full list of award winners list and everything else you need to know today about IPL 2023 final match between Chennai Super Kings and Gujarat Titans.
Chennai Super Kings (CSK) clinched their fifth Indian Premier League (IPL) title in a thrilling final match against Gujarat Titans (GT), winning by five wickets on the final ball. This IPL 2023 final match, held at Ahmedabad, showcased a stellar fifty partnership by Devon Conway and Ruturaj Gaikwad, as well as impressive contributions from Shivam Dube and Ravindra Jadeja, leading CSK to victory.
The match began as a 15-over encounter due to rain delays, with a revised target of 171 for CSK. The openers, Conway and Gaikwad, got off to a strong start, guiding CSK to 52/0 in the initial 4 overs of the powerplay. However, Gujarat’s Noor Ahmed disrupted the rhythm by claiming Gaikwad and Conway’s wickets in the seventh over, leaving CSK at 78/2.
The tide turned in CSK’s favor when Ajinkya Rahane smashed two sixes in the eighth over, contributing to a score of 112/2 at the end of 10 overs. A solid partnership was building between Rahane and Dube until Mohit Sharma broke it, dismissing Rahane and leaving CSK at 117/3.
As the required run rate escalated, Dube and Ambati Rayadu hit a series of sixes to lessen the deficit to 22 in 15 balls. Despite Mohit claiming Rayadu and MS Dhoni’s wickets, CSK needed 13 runs in the final over. Ravindra Jadeja, with his final ball boundary, made sure CSK secured their title victory.
On Gujarat Titans’ side, Mohit Sharma was the standout performer with 3/36, with Noor Ahmed supporting with 2/17. Earlier in the day, GT set a challenging total of 214/4, thanks to Sai Sudharsan’s 96 and Wriddhiman Saha’s 54. The duo, along with Hardik Pandya, ensured GT reached an imposing total.
Gujarat openers Shubman Gill and Saha started off brilliantly, but Jadeja provided CSK with a breakthrough, dismissing Gill. Despite losing his partner, Saha kept GT’s momentum going, bringing up his half-century in 36 balls. Sudharsan then arrived at the crease, and his aggressive approach saw GT cross the 200-run mark.
However, Sudharsan’s onslaught ended four runs short of a century, falling to Matheesha Pathirana in the final over. Pathirana also claimed the wicket of Rashid Khan, limiting GT to 214/4. In the end, it was CSK’s night as they triumphed over GT, marking their fifth IPL title.
CSK vs GT Score Summary:
- Chennai Super Kings 171/5 (15 ov)
- Sunrisers Hyderabad 214/4 (20 ov)
- CSK won by 5 wickets (D/L method)
CSK vs GT IPL Final Match Award Winners
- Electric Striker of the Match: Ajinkya Rahane – Rs 1 Lakh
- Dream11 Game Changer of the Match: Sai Sudarshan – 154 Fantasy Points – Rs 1 Lakh
- Upstox Most Valuable Asset of the Match: Sai Sudarshan – Rs 1 Lakh
- Rupay On The Go Fours: Sai Sudarshan (8 Fours) – Rs 1 Lakh
- Visit Saudi Beyond The Boundaries Six Of The Match: Sai Sudarshan – 97m – Rs 1 Lakh
- Herbalife Active Catch of the Match: MS Dhoni – Rs 1 Lakh
- Player Of the Match Final: Devon Conway – Rs 5 Lakh
Major Highlights for CSK vs GT Match Today
Gujarat Titans Innings:
- Shubman Gill and Wriddhiman Saha started aggressively for GT, pushing the score with confident strokes.
- CSK’s Ravindra Jadeja struck a vital blow, dismissing Gill for 39 off 20 balls in the 7th over.
- Saha continued his assault against CSK bowlers, reaching his fifty in just 36 balls.
- Sai Sudharsan joined Saha in the middle, pushing the GT score beyond the 100-run mark with a solid partnership.
- Saha’s innings was ended by Deepak Chahar after scoring a well-made 54.
- GT captain Hardik Pandya came to the crease, aiming to keep up the momentum.
- Young Sudharsan showcased an impressive performance, smashing Maheesh Theekshana for two sixes in the 15th over.
- Sudharsan reached his half-century in just 33 balls, maintaining the scoring rate for GT.
- Sudharsan hammered Tushar Deshpande for 20 runs in the 17th over, with GT crossing the 200-run mark.
- Matheesha Pathirana claimed Sudharsan’s wicket in the last over, just four runs short of a century, with GT finishing at 214/4.
Chennai Super Kings Innings:
- CSK openers Devon Conway and Ruturaj Gaikwad provided a quick start, pushing the score to 52/0 in 4 overs.
- Noor Ahmed got the breakthrough for GT, claiming Gaikwad’s wicket in the 7th over.
- CSK’s score stood at 78/2 after Conway fell to Noor Ahmed, leaving the crease for Ajinkya Rahane and Shivam Dube.
- Rahane shifted the momentum back to CSK with two sixes in the 8th over.
- By the 10th over, CSK had reached 112/2, with Rahane and Dube steadying the ship.
- Mohit Sharma broke the Rahane-Dube partnership, leaving CSK at 117/3 in 10.5 overs.
- The rising required run rate was dealt with successive sixes by Dube and Ambati Rayadu, reducing the deficit to 22 runs in 15 balls.
- Mohit Sharma made a comeback, dismissing Rayadu and MS Dhoni in quick succession.
- Going into the final over, CSK needed 13 runs for the title.
- Ravindra Jadeja sealed the victory with a boundary off the last ball, securing CSK’s fifth IPL title.
Brilliant MS Dhoni vows to continue
After 5th IPL title win, MS Dhoni acknowledged that it would be an ideal time to retire from the game but he is willing to commit to one more season, expressing gratitude for the unwavering support he has received from fans across India. He conceded, however, that it would be challenging to commit to nine months of intense preparation for the next season, but he’s willing to undertake the demanding process for the love of the game and his supporters.