Learn about CSK vs GT match result along with key match highlights, IPL points table update, man of the match, full list of award winners list and everything else you need to know today about Qualifier 1 match of IPL 2023 between Chennai Super Kings and Gujarat Titans.
Chennai Super Kings (CSK) beat Gujarat Titans (GT) winning the Qualifier 1 of IPL 2023 by 15 runs and ensuring their place in the tournament’s final. The match, held at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai, saw the CSK bowling unit dismantle the GT lineup.
Ravindra Jadeja emerged as a standout bowler, claiming two wickets for only 18 runs. Equally instrumental were Maheesh Theekshana, Matheesha Pathirana, and Deepak Chahar, each taking two wickets. These performances contributed significantly to restraining GT to a total of 173 runs.
Despite a steady start by GT’s openers, CSK bowlers quickly began to dominate. Wriddhiman Saha fell to Deepak Chahar in the 3rd over, and Hardik Pandya, GT’s skipper, was dismissed by Theekshana in the 6th over. This marked the beginning of GT’s losing streak, as they struggled to keep their wickets.
Under escalating pressure, GT’s batters faltered, with Jadeja dismissing Dasun Shanaka in the 10th over and David Miller in the 13th. The latter’s dismissal came alongside another significant loss, that of in-form batter Shubman Gill. CSK continued to pick off the GT lineup, with no batter managing to reach double digits.
GT’s Rashid Khan displayed some resistance, hitting a few boundaries, but wickets were falling consistently. GT’s last recognized batter, Vijay Shankar, was sent back by Pathirana in the 18th over, and the team was completely dismissed when Mohammed Shami fell to Pathirana.
Earlier in the match, CSK’s Ruturaj Gaikwad and Devon Conway started strong, propelling CSK past the 50-run mark in the powerplay despite an early scare from Darshan Nalkande. Gaikwad went on to score a half-century, his partnership with Conway proving valuable.
However, CSK lost wickets periodically, with Gaikwad, Shivan Dube, Ajinkya Rahane, and Conway all dismissed by the 15th over. Ambati Rayudu and Jadeja then put on a vital partnership, edging CSK close to 150.
Rayudu’s dismissal by Rashid Khan saw MS Dhoni join Jadeja at the crease, though his appearance was brief. A late surge from Moeen Ali, in conjunction with Jadeja, took CSK to a competitive 172/7 in their allotted overs, setting a challenging total for GT to chase.
Despite their best efforts, GT failed to match CSK’s total, and the bowler-dominated match saw CSK entering the IPL 2023 final after winning by 15 runs.
CSK vs GT Score Summary:
- Gujarat Titans 157/10 (20 ov)
- Chennai Super Kings 172/7 (20 ov)
- CSK won by 15 runs.
Points Table Standings of CSK and GT
Both teams were on top of the 2023 IPL points table standings with Gujarat Titans having secured 20 points after 10 wins and Chennai Super Kings 17 points after 8 wins (and no-result match).
CSK vs GT Qualifier 1 Award Winners at IPL 2023
- Player Of The Match: Ruturaj Gaikwad (CSK)
- TIAGO.ev Electric Striker Of The Match: Rashid Khan (GT) – SR: 187.5
- Herbalife Active Catch Of The Match: Ruturaj Gaikwad (CSK)
- Visit Saudi Beyond The Boundaries Longest 6: Rashid Khan (GT) – 87 metres
- RuPay On-The-Go 4s: Ruturaj Gaikwad (CSK) – 7 Fours
- UPSTOX Most Valuable Asset Of The Match: Ravindra Jadeja (CSK) – 27 MVA pts
- Dream11 Gamechanger Of The Match: Ravindra Jadeja (CSK) – 102 Dream11 pts
Note: All the prizes carried a cash reward of Rs 1 lakh
Major Highlights for CSK vs GT Match Today
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) started their innings after winning the toss and electing to bat first in the IPL 2023 final against the Gujarat Titans (GT) at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai.
- CSK had a setback early on as Ruturaj Gaikwad was dismissed by Darshan Nalkande, but it was called a no-ball by the umpire.
- Gaikwad and Devon Conway formed a solid opening partnership, reaching 49 runs without any loss in the powerplay.
- CSK crossed the 50-run mark in just 6.1 overs.
- Gaikwad played a brilliant innings, completing his half-century in 36 balls.
- The Gaikwad-Conway opening partnership was finally broken as Mohit Sharma dismissed Gaikwad for 60 runs from 44 balls, and CSK lost their first wicket at 87.
- In the next over, left-arm spinner Noor Ahmad dismissed Shivan Dube for 1 run as CSK lost their second wicket at 90.
- Conway, along with Ajinkya Rahane, took Chennai Super Kings beyond the triple-figure mark in 13.1 overs.
- Rahane looked in decent touch but was dismissed for 17 runs from 10 balls by Darshan Nalkande, reducing CSK to 121/3 in 14.5 overs.
- In the following over, CSK lost another wicket as opener Conway was sent packing for 40 runs by Mohammed Shami, leaving CSK in trouble at 125/4.
- Ambati Rayudu and Ravindra Jadeja batted sensibly to take Chennai close to the 150-run mark.
- Rashid Khan then dismissed Rayudu for 17 runs from 9 balls as CSK lost their fifth wicket at 148.
- After Rayudu’s wicket, there was a huge roar from the Chennai crowd as Mahendra Singh Dhoni walked out to bat. Dhoni, along with Ravindra Jadeja, took CSK past the 150-run mark in 18.2 overs.
- The celebration was short-lived as three balls later, MS Dhoni was dismissed for just 1 run by Mohit Sharma, caught by Hardik Pandya in covers, and CSK lost their sixth wicket at 155.
- Moeen Ali joined Jadeja, and the duo took the Super Kings to 172/7 in 20 overs as Mohammed Shami dismissed Jadeja for 22 runs from 16 balls on the last ball of the innings. Moeen remained unbeaten on 9 runs from 4 balls.
- Chasing a total of 173, Gujarat Titans’ openers started slow and steady.
- Deepak Chahar provided an early breakthrough for Chennai Super Kings (CSK) by dismissing Wriddhiman Saha in the 3rd over.
- Maheesh Theekshana got the second wicket of GT when he dismissed skipper Hardik Pandya in the 5.5 overs. Pandya scored 8 runs off 7 balls.
- Trying to stabilize the innings after losing quick wickets, Gujarat Titans reached the 50-run mark in 7.3 overs.
- As the required run rate kept rising, GT batsmen were under pressure to find boundaries, resulting in the loss of another wicket in the 10.3 over. Ravindra Jadeja dismissed Dasun Shanaka, who scored 17 runs off 16 balls.
- CSK did not give any opportunities to GT for a comeback, continuously collecting wickets at regular intervals.
- In the 12.5 over, Jadeja struck again, dismissing David Miller cheaply for 4 runs off 6 balls.
- In the following over, Deepak Chahar delivered a massive breakthrough by dismissing in-form batsman Shubman Gill, who fought hard and scored 42 runs off 38 balls.
- None of the GT batsmen were able to reach double digits, showcasing the dominance of CSK’s bowlers.
- In the 14.3 over, Theekshana picked up the wicket of Rahul Tewatia, who managed only 3 runs off 5 balls.
- All-rounder Rashid Khan provided some resistance, hitting a few boundaries to keep the hopes alive for Gujarat Titans. However, wickets kept falling from the other end.
- GT’s last recognized batsman, Vijay Shankar, also returned to the pavilion after Matheesha Pathirana dismissed him for 14 runs off 10 balls in the 17.3 overs.
- In the very next ball, Darshan Nalkande was dismissed for a golden duck after being run out by SP Senapati, further denting GT’s hopes.
- Rashid Khan’s fighting knock eventually came to an end when he was dismissed by Deshpande. He scored 30 runs off 16 balls.
- Gujarat Titans’ batting lineup was bundled out as Mohammed Shami was dismissed by Pathirana on the last ball, bringing an end to their innings.
IPL Eliminator and Final Match
In the IPL Eliminator match today, Mumbai Indians will take on Lucknow Super Giants at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai. The winner will meet Gujarat Titans in the IPL Qualifier 2 on Friday May 26 ahead of the IPL final on Sunday May 28. Follow live IPL score starting 15 minutes before the match start.