Learn about GT vs MI match result along with key match highlights, IPL points table update, man of the match, full list of award winners list and everything else you need to know today about Qualifier 2 match of IPL 2023 between Gujarat Titans and Mumbai Indians.
In the thrilling Qualifier 2 match of the Indian Premier League (IPL), Gujarat Titans (GT) delivered a stunning performance to defeat Mumbai Indians (MI) by 62 runs. The GT victory was underscored by Shubman Gill’s commanding century and a five-wicket haul from Mohit Sharma, setting up a titanic finale with the four-time champions, Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
- Shubman Gill Domination in IPL Continues, the “Prince” Needs 123 Runs to Break King Kohli’s Most Runs Record
- GT vs MI Result for Qualifier 2, Match Highlights, Man of the Match and Full List of Award Winners
- MI vs LSG Eliminator Result, Match Highlights, Man of the Match and Full List of Award Winners
Facing a daunting target of 233, the Mumbai Indians struggled from the outset, losing their first wicket in the opening over. Mohammed Shami continued his in-form performance, claiming the wickets of Nehal Wadhera and Rohit Sharma early on, leaving MI at a precarious 21/2 after just 2.2 overs.
Young MI batsman Tilak Varma showed resistance, smacking 24 runs off Shami’s bowling, but his effort was cut short at 43 runs by Rashid Khan. After the powerplay, MI stood at 72/3, with Suryakumar Yadav unbeaten. The team reached the 100-run mark in 9.2 overs. However, regular wicket losses hampered MI’s progress, culminating in their final score of 171.
Yadav, who had shown promise with a well-earned fifty, was dismissed by Sharma at 61 runs, along with Vishnu Vinod shortly thereafter. The remaining MI batting lineup buckled under the mounting pressure and wicket losses, with Rashid Khan and Sharma picking off the remaining batsmen, including Tim David and Chris Jordan. MI was eventually dismissed for 171 in 18.2 overs. Sharma starred with the ball, claiming five wickets for just 10 runs.
Earlier, having been put into bat, GT openers Gill and Wriddhiman Saha laid a solid foundation. Gill dominated, his power-hitting leading GT to 50 runs in just six overs. Despite the dismissal of Saha at 18 runs, GT remained strong, with Gill reaching his fifth half-century of the IPL 2023 in just 32 balls.
As Gill’s onslaught continued, Akash Madhwal, a five-wicket hero from the previous match, conceded three sixes and 21 runs. Gill hit his third IPL century in just 49 balls. GT surpassed the 150-run mark in 14.3 overs, and the team ended at an imposing 233/3, largely due to a 138-run stand between Gill and Sai Sudarshan.
After Gill’s departure for 129, skipper Hardik Pandya (28* in 13 balls) and Rashid Khan (5*) saw GT to the end of the innings. GT’s commanding total proved too much for MI, and their 62-run victory sets up a tantalizing final match with CSK.
GT vs MI Score Summary:
- Gujarat Titans 233/3 (20 ov)
- Mumbai Indians 171/10 (18.2 ov)
- GT won by 62 runs.
GT vs MI Qualifier 2 Match Award Winners at IPL 2023
- Player Of The Match: Shubman Gill (GT)
- TIAGO.ev Electric Striker Of The Match: Tilak Varma (MI) Strike rate: 307
- Herbalife Active Catch Of The Match: Joshua Little (GT)
- Visit Saudi Beyond The Boundaries Longest 6: Shubman Gill, 106 meters
- RuPay On-The-Go 4s: Shubman Gill, 7 fours
- UPSTOX Most Valuable Asset Of The Match: Shubman Gill, 52.5 MVA points
- Dream11 Gamechanger Of The Match: Shubman Gill, 182 fantasy points
Note: All the prizes carried a cash reward of Rs 1 lakh
Major Highlights for GT vs MI Match Today
- GT openers, Shubman Gill and Wriddhiman Saha, provide a strong start, hitting 50/0 in the first six overs.
- Spinner Piyush Chawla gives MI their first breakthrough, dismissing Saha for 18 in the 6.2 over, GT at 54/1.
- Sai Sudarshan joins Gill, taking GT’s score to 91/1 at the end of 10 overs.
- Shubman Gill accelerates, smashing Akash Madhwal for three sixes in the 12th over, taking GT past the 100-run mark.
- Gill continues his onslaught, hitting Chawla for 20 runs in the next over.
- GT’s score crosses 150 in the 14.3 over, Gill leads the charge with a magnificent century in just 49 balls.
- Gill and Sudarshan complete a century partnership, taking the score to 166/1 in 15 overs.
- The Gill-Sudarshan partnership adds 138 runs before Gill is dismissed for 129 off 60 balls in the 16.5 over, GT at 192/2.
- GT crosses the 200-run mark in the 17.4 over, thanks to contributions from skipper Hardik Pandya and Sai Sudarshan.
- GT finishes their innings at a mammoth 233/3, with Pandya (28*) and Rashid Khan (5*) unbeaten.
- Mumbai Indians get off to a shaky start, losing their first wicket in the opening over to Mohammed Shami.
- Shami strikes again in his second over, claiming the wicket of Rohit Sharma, MI at 21/2.
- Young MI batsman Tilak Varma fights back, hitting 24 runs off Shami in the fifth over before being dismissed by Rashid Khan for 43 off 14 balls.
- MI reaches 72/3 after the powerplay, with Suryakumar Yadav unbeaten at 12.
- MI crosses the 100-run mark in 9.2 overs, despite regular wicket losses.
- Suryakumar Yadav reaches his fifty in 35 balls, keeping MI’s hopes alive.
- MI’s key hope, Yadav, is dismissed by Mohit Sharma at 61, Sharma also dismisses Vishnu Vinod in the same over, MI at 150 in 14.2 overs.
- MI’s batting lineup collapses under the pressure of the required run rate, with Rashid Khan and Mohit Sharma picking off the remaining batsmen.
- MI is dismissed for 171 in 18.2 overs, with Sharma claiming five wickets for 10 runs.
- Gujarat Titans claim victory by 62 runs, setting up a final match with Chennai Super Kings.
IPL 2023 Final Match
The 2023 IPL finalists are now confirmed and we will see Gujarat Titans taking on MS Dhoni’s Chennai Super Kings on Sunday May 28 at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad. Follow live IPL score starting 15 minutes before the match start.
Also See: Chennai Super Kings vs Gujarat Titans (CSK vs GT) IPL Final Match 2023