Learn about GT vs MI match result along with key match highlights, IPL points table update, man of the match, full list of award winners list and everything else you need to know today about Match 35 of IPL 2023 between Gujarat Titans and Mumbai Indians.
Gujarat Titans (GT) emerged victorious with a 55-run win over Mumbai Indians (MI) in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 match at Narendra Modi Stadium on Tuesday. Shubman Gill, David Miller, and spinners Noor Ahmad and Rashid Khan were the stars of the match, ensuring GT’s triumph. This loss marked MI’s largest defeat since 2015 in terms of run margin. The victory helped GT secure the second position in the points table with 10 points, equal to table-toppers Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
Shubman Gill laid the foundation with a classy half-century (56 off 34), followed by Abhinav Manohar’s quick 42 off 21 and David Miller’s 46 off 22, which powered GT to an imposing total of 207/6. Afghanistan spinners Rashid Khan (2/27) and Noor Ahmad (3/37) then dominated with the ball, restricting MI to 152/9, securing a 55-run win for GT.
In pursuit of 208, Gujarat Titans captain Hardik Pandya got off to a good start, dismissing opposition captain Rohit Sharma in the second over. Sharma’s top edge was caught by Pandya after a failed pull shot. Shami’s brilliant third over saw him conceding only two runs while consistently beating Ishan Kishan’s outside edge. MI’s first boundary came in the fourth over, as Green smashed a six over long off, reaching 29/1 after six overs.
Rashid Khan capitalized on the building pressure, dismissing Kishan (13 off 21) in the eighth over and successfully reviewing an LBW call against Impact Player Tilak Varma three balls later. MI found themselves on the back foot at 58/3 at the halfway point. Noor Ahmad continued MI’s struggles, taking Green’s wicket (33 off 26) and Tim David’s in the following over, reducing MI to 59/5.
The thrilling contest between Rashid Khan and Nehal Wadhera saw Wadhera hitting multiple boundaries and surviving an LBW review before falling to Noor Ahmad (23 off 12). With the required run rate climbing above 18, Wadhera and Piyush Chawla fought with a 24-ball 45-run partnership. However, with 73 needed off 18, Chawla was run out, and Wadhera (40 off 21) followed suit in the same over. MI continued to lose wickets, ultimately falling short of the target, granting GT a 55-run victory.
Earlier in the game, MI captain Rohit Sharma won the toss and elected to bowl, making three changes to the starting XI. Nehal Wadhera, Kumar Kartikeya, and Riley Meredith replaced Tilak Varma, Hrithik Shokeen, and Jofra Archer, with Ramandeep Singh, Tilak Varma, Shams Mulani, Vishnu Vinod, and Sandeep Warrier named as substitutes. GT fielded an unchanged eleven, with Josh Little, Dasun Shanaka, Sai Kishore, KS Bharat, and Shivam Mavi as substitutes.
MI’s Arjun Tendulkar dismissed Wriddhiman Saha early in the match, with Saha caught behind after an unsuccessful review. MI pacers Tendulkar, Jason Behrendorff, and Riley Meredith maintained a tight grip, allowing only three boundaries in the first five overs. Shubman Gill accelerated in the final over of the Powerplay, taking GT to 50/1. Piyush Chawla struck in the seventh over, dismissing Hardik Pandya, who had come out to bat at No 3, caught at long off.
MI bowlers managed three economical overs, but Gill and Vijay Shankar fought back, scoring two fours and a six off Kartikeya in the 10th over. Gill reached his fifty off 30 balls, taking GT to 84/2 at the halfway mark. Kartikeya claimed Gill’s wicket (56 off 34) in his next over, with Suryakumar Yadav taking the catch at long-on. MI took two wickets in two overs, as Chawla dismissed Vijay Shankar (19 off 16) caught at long on.
Abhinav Manohar added momentum to GT’s innings, attacking Chawla with multiple boundaries and a 97m six in the 15th over. Although Behrendorff bowled a decent 16th over, Miller took 13 runs off Meredith’s 17th over. Manohar and Miller’s 50-run partnership took just 30 balls, and they continued to attack Green in the next over, hitting three sixes. Meredith finally broke the partnership, catching Manohar (42 off 21) off a full toss. Tewatia and Miller maintained the momentum, hitting three sixes in the over, even though Miller was dropped by Behrendorff. Tewatia hit two more sixes in the last over by Meredith, but Miller was dismissed for 46(22), as GT posted a total of 206/7.
GT’s batting lineup excelled in the slog overs, scoring 77/2 in the 16-20 overs phase. GT introduced Josh Little as their Impact Player, replacing Shubman Gill, at the start of their bowling innings.
GT vs MI Score Summary:
- GT 207/6 (20)
- MI 152/9 (20)
- Gujarat Titans won by 55 runs
Points Table Update after IPL GT vs MI Match 35
Gujarat Titans beat Mumbai Indians in 35th IPL match today and made it to the top with 2nd position with 10 points on the table alongside CSK. Mumbai Indians remain at number 7 with three wins and six points.
GT vs MI Match 35 Award Winners at IPL 2023
Player Of The Match: Abhinav Manohar (GT)
TIAGO.ev Electric Striker Of The Match: David Miller (GT) Strike rater: 209.09
Herbalife Active Catch Of The Match: Suryakumar Yadav (MI)
Visit Saudi Beyond The Boundaries Longest 6: Abhinav Manohar, 87 metres
RuPay On-The-Go 4s: Shubman Gill (GT), 7 fours
UPSTOX Most Valuable Asset Of The Match: Noor Ahmad (GT), 23 MVA points
Dream11 Gamechanger Of The Match: Noor Ahmad, 99 fantasy points
Note: All the prizes carried a cash reward of Rs 1 lakh
Major Highlights for GT vs MI Match Today
- Shubman Gill’s classy half-century (56 off 34) provides a solid platform for Gujarat Titans (GT).
- Abhinav Manohar (42 off 21) and David Miller (46 off 22) deliver explosive knocks, taking GT to a daunting total of 207/6.
- Afghanistan spinners Rashid Khan (2/27) and Noor Ahmad (3/37) dominate with the ball.
- GT registers a 55-run win over Mumbai Indians (MI), marking MI’s biggest defeat since 2015 in terms of run margin.
- GT moves to the second spot in the points table with 10 points, equal to table-toppers Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
- MI captain Rohit Sharma is dismissed early in the chase by Hardik Pandya.
- GT’s Shami concedes only two runs in his brilliant third over, continuously beating Ishan Kishan’s outside edge.
- Rashid Khan dismisses Kishan (13 off 21) and successfully reviews an LBW call against Tilak Varma.
- Noor Ahmad claims the wickets of Green (33 off 26) and Tim David in a single over, reducing MI to 59/5.
- Wadhera and Piyush Chawla build a 24-ball 45-run partnership before both are dismissed in quick succession.
- MI falls short of the target, losing by 55 runs.
- Arjun Tendulkar dismisses Wriddhiman Saha early in GT’s innings, with Saha caught behind after an unsuccessful review.
- MI pacers Tendulkar, Jason Behrendorff, and Riley Meredith maintain a tight grip in the first five overs, allowing only three boundaries.
- Gill accelerates in the final over of the Powerplay, taking GT to 50/1.
- Manohar and Miller’s 50-run partnership takes just 30 balls, powering GT’s innings with multiple sixes.
IPL Next Match
Its Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kolkata Knight Riders (RCB vs KKR), 36th T20 in IPL 2023 Today on April 26 at M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru.