Learn about LSG vs MI match result along with key match highlights, IPL points table update, man of the match, full list of award winners list and everything else you need to know today about IPL 2023 Eliminator match between Lucknow Super Giants and Mumbai Indians.
Mumbai Indians have beaten Lucknow Super Giants by 81 runs in the electrifying Eliminator match of IPL 2023. Courtesy brilliant bowling by Akash Madhwal, MI will now proceed to Qualifier 2, where they will lock horns with the defending champions, Gujarat Titans.
Lucknow Super Giants’ journey in this season came to an abrupt end when they couldn’t chase the target of 183 set by Mumbai Indians. The team got off to an inauspicious start, with Madhwal showcasing his impeccable form, leading to Prerak Mankad’s early dismissal. Chris Jordan’s maiden wicket, combined with a remarkable catch by Green, further tightened MI’s grip on the match.
Attempting to turn the tide, Marcus Stoinis and Krunal Pandya steadily built a partnership for LSG, taking the team’s score to 54/2 at the end of the powerplay. However, their resistance was abruptly ended by Piyush Chawla, who took Krunal’s wicket, followed by a formidable performance by Madhwal, leaving LSG floundering at 74/5 in 9.5 overs.
As the match progressed, LSG’s chances grew increasingly slim. Stoinis was run out, followed by Gowtham and Ravi Bishnoi, further destabilizing LSG’s batting lineup. The final nail in the coffin was Madhwal’s dismissal of Mohsin, which marked his fifth wicket of the day and ended LSG’s innings at 101 in 16.3 overs.
The Mumbai Indians’ batting lineup proved formidable, with solid performances from Cameron Green, Suryakumar Yadav, and Nehal Wadhera helping the team achieve a score of 182/8 in their 20 overs. Rohit Sharma and Ishan Kishan provided a brisk start to MI, despite an early dismissal of Rohit.
The batting prowess of Cameron Green and Suryakumar Yadav allowed MI to reach a commendable score of 98/2 at the end of 10 overs. Despite a brief dip in the team’s momentum following the dismissal of Suryakumar and Green, the combined efforts of Tim David and Tilak Varma allowed MI to regain their footing.
A pivotal partnership was broken when David was dismissed by Thakur, however, Nehal Wadhera came in next and successfully increased MI’s score. The team’s score was further boosted by Nehal’s impressive batting, allowing MI to finish at 182/8. Naveen-ul-Haq was the stand-out bowler for LSG, with an impressive 4/38 in his four overs.
LSG vs SRH Score Summary:
- Lucknow Super Giants 101/10 (16.3 OV)
- Mumbai Indians 182/8 (20 OV)
- MI won by 81 runs.
MI vs LSG Eliminator Match Award Winners at IPL 2023
- Player Of The Match: Akash Madhwal (MI) – 5 for 5 in 3.3 overs
- TIAGO.ev Electric Striker Of The Match: Nehal Wadhera (MI) – Strike Rate of 191.67
- Dream11 Gamechanger Of The Match: Akash Madhwal (MI) – 173 fantasy points
- UPSTOX Most Valuable Asset Of The Match: Akash Madhwal (MI) – 34.5 MVA points
- RuPay On-The-Go 4s: Cameron Green (MI) – 6 Fours
- Visit Saudi Beyond The Boundaries Longest 6: Cameron Green (MI) – 94 meters
- Herbalife Active Catch Of The Match: Deepak Hooda (LSG) – Catch to dismiss Tilak Varma (MI)
All the awards carry a prize money of Rs 1 Lakh.
Major Highlights for MI vs LSG Match Today
- Mumbai Indians (MI) won the toss and elected to bat first.
- MI got off to a strong start with Rohit Sharma and Ishan providing a brisk opening partnership.
- In the third over, Rohit Sharma and Ishan smashed Krunal Pandya for 16 runs, including two fours and a six.
- LSG managed to break the partnership as Naveen-ul-Haq dismissed Rohit Sharma for 11 runs.
- Cameron Green, the centurion from the previous match, joined the crease and hit two successive boundaries.
- However, Ishan couldn’t stay longer as he edged the ball to wicketkeeper Nicholas Pooran off Yash Thakur’s bowling.
- MI reached the 50-run mark in 5.1 overs.
- In the final over of the powerplay, MI took advantage of Krunal’s struggles and scored 16 runs, including three boundaries by Cameron Green.
- At the end of the powerplay, MI was at 62/2, with Green and Suryakumar Yadav at the crease.
- Green and Suryakumar Yadav built a strong partnership and brought up their fifty-run stand in just 28 balls.
- MI crossed the 100-run mark in 10.1 overs.
- Naveen-ul-Haq turned the momentum in LSG’s favor by dismissing Suryakumar Yadav and Cameron Green in quick succession.
- Tim David and Tilak Varma tried to stabilize the innings but faced a slower run rate.
- At the end of 15 overs, MI was at 131/4, with Tilak and Tim unbeaten.
- Yash Thakur broke the partnership by dismissing Tim David, caught by Deepak Hooda at long-on.
- Nehal Wadhera came in as the Impact Player and hit a six to take MI past the 150-run mark.
- Naveen-ul-Haq got his fourth wicket by dismissing Tilak Varma, caught by Deepak Hooda.
- MI struggled in the second half of the innings, losing wickets at regular intervals.
- In the final over, Nehal Wadhera played some big shots but was dismissed on the last ball of the innings.
- MI finished their innings at 182/8 in 20 overs.
- In the chase of 183, LSG got off to a poor start, losing early wickets.
- Akash Madhwal was the star bowler for MI, taking five wickets and causing havoc in LSG’s batting lineup.
- LSG’s batsmen struggled to build partnerships and lost wickets at regular intervals.
- LSG was eventually bundled out for 101 in 16.3 overs, giving MI an 81-run victory.
- Akash Madhwal’s fiery five-wicket haul played a crucial role in MI’s win.
- With this victory, MI advanced to the qualifier 2 match against the Gujarat Titans, while LSG was knocked out of the tournament.
IPL Next Match
In the IPL Qualifier 2 match today, Mumbai Indians will take on Gujarat Titans at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad. The winner will then meet Chennai Super Kings in IPL final on Sunday May 28. Follow live IPL score starting 15 minutes before the match start.