Learn about RR vs PBKS match result along with key match highlights, IPL points table update, man of the match, full list of award winners list and everything else you need to know today about Match 66 of IPL 2023 between Rajasthan Royals and Punjab Kings.
The Rajasthan Royals (RR) beat Punjab Kings (PBKS) by four wickets in today’s intense Indian Premier League (IPL) match, dashing PBKS’ playoff hopes. The thrilling victory was sealed with Dhruv Jurel’s six in the final over at the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium. While Punjab Kings are out of IPL playoffs, RR win ensures the team stays alive in the tournament.
The Royals, tasked with a challenging total of 188, got off to a shaky start, losing their star batter Jos Buttler early on. However, Yashasvi Jaiswal and Devdutt Padikkal recovered nicely, their aggressive play amassing 57 runs by the end of the Powerplay, compensating for the initial setback. Despite the Royals reaching 86/2 halfway through, the Kings tightened their defense, stalling RR’s momentum with two quick wickets, including that of the dangerous Sanju Samson.
The Royals’ response was to shift into a higher gear, with Shimron Hetmyer and Jaiswal powering through with multiple boundaries, which significantly increased the run rate. Jaiswal’s commendable 50-run innings was cut short, leaving RR needing 47 from the last five overs. The next few overs saw strategic play from both sides, with Hetmyer and Riyan Parag chipping away at the target, even as PBKS’ bowlers kept a lid on the scoring.
Heading into the penultimate over, RR still needed 19 runs, with Hetmyer dismissed after a valiant 46-run effort. With RR’s preferred batsman Jurel on strike, they needed five runs from the last three balls. In a triumphant climax, Jurel hammered a six straight down the ground, earning the Royals their four-wicket victory.
The first half of the match saw PBKS getting off to a disastrous start, losing their opening batsman in the first over. However, captain Shikhar Dhawan and Atharva Taide tried to counter-attack, scoring briskly. Despite losing Dhawan and other key batters, Jitesh Sharma and Sam Curran managed to stabilize PBKS’ innings.
Saini proved lethal, claiming Jitesh’s wicket and breaking a vital partnership. Shahrukh Khan then joined forces with Curran, with both batters punishing RR’s bowlers in the death overs. With two consecutive sixes from Khan and a flurry of boundaries from Curran, PBKS collected a hefty 28 runs in the penultimate over. A similar assault in the final over set the stage for an exciting second half, with PBKS finishing at 187/5.
The match demonstrated the Royals’ resilience and the explosive power of T20 cricket. The grand spectacle of the IPL continues to live up to its reputation, showcasing nerve-wracking finishes and exceptional performances.
RR vs PBKS Score Summary:
- Punjab Kings 187/5 (20 ov)
- Rajasthan Royals 189/6 (19.4 ov)
- RR won by 4 wickets
Points Table Update after IPL RR vs PBKS Match 66
Rajasthan Royals beat Punjab Kings by 4 wickets in today’s match staying alive in terms of points and NRR. With the win, they are now up at number 5 (with 14 points from 14 matches) ahead of Mumbai Indians and KKR in terms of NRR and points respectively. Punjab Kings is the third team which is out of the IPL playoffs with a total of 12 points from all their 14 matches.
RR vs PBKS Match 66 Award Winners at IPL 2023
- Player Of The Match: Devdutt Padikkal
- TIAGO.ev Electric Striker Of The Match: Shah Rukh Khan (SR of 178.26)
- Dream11 Gamechanger Of The Match: Sam Curran (90 fantasy points)
- UPSTOX Most Valuable Asset Of The Match: Sam Curran (29.5 MVA points)
- RuPay On-The-Go 4s: Yashasvi Jaiswal (8 fours)
- Visit Saudi Beyond The Boundaries Longest 6: Riyan Parag (93 metres)
- Herbalife Active Catch Of The Match: Trent Boult (Catch of Prabhsimran Singh off his own bowling)
All the awards carry a prize money of Rs 1 Lakh.
Major Highlights for RR vs PBKS Match Today
- Dhruv Jurel’s final over six clinched victory for Rajasthan Royals and dashed Punjab Kings’ hopes of reaching the IPL 2023 playoffs.
- Rajasthan Royals lost their star batter Jos Buttler early in the second over while chasing a target of 188.
- Yashasvi Jaiswal got off to a flying start, hitting a four and a couple of fours in the first over from Sam Curran.
- Jaiswal and Devdutt Padikkal played aggressively, scoring a flurry of fours and sixes, taking the score to 57/1 at the end of the Powerplay.
- Padikkal reached his fifty but was caught at point off Arshdeep, leaving Rajasthan Royals at 86/2 at the halfway mark.
- Rahul Chahar dismissed Sanju Samson, and Rajasthan Royals found themselves in trouble, but Shimron Hetmyer and Jaiswal played aggressively, hitting three sixes and four fours in the next three overs.
- Jaiswal reached his fifty but was caught by Rishi Dhawan off Nathan Ellis’s over, leaving Rajasthan Royals with 47 runs needed off 30 balls.
- Nathan Ellis bowled an excellent over, giving away just seven runs, increasing the required run rate for Rajasthan Royals.
- With 39 runs needed off 24 balls, Hetmyer got lucky with a dropped catch but was eventually dismissed by Rishi Dhawan for 46 off 28 balls.
- Rabada bowled a front foot no ball, and Riyan Parag hit a six and another massive six over deep mid-wicket off the Free Hit ball.
- Rabada dismissed Parag off the last ball of the over, caught at backward point off a leading edge.
- Dhruv Jurel replaced Yuzvendra Chahal in the lineup and walked out to bat for Rajasthan Royals.
- Hetmyer hit a couple of fours, but Dhawan took an excellent diving catch at extra cover to dismiss him for 46 off 28 balls.
- Curran conceded 10 runs and picked up a wicket in the penultimate over, making the equation 5 runs needed off three balls.
- Dhruv Jurel sealed the victory for Rajasthan Royals in style, charging down and hitting a six straight down the ground to win the match by four wickets.
- Earlier, Prabhsimran Singh lost his wicket in the first over, and Trent Boult took a diving catch to dismiss him for a score of 2(2).
- PBKS skipper Shikhar Dhawan and Atharva Taide launched a counter-attack, scoring 16 runs off Sandeep Sharma’s over.
- Navdeep Saini picked up his first wicket of the IPL by dismissing Taide for a score of 19(12).
- Adam Zampa got the wicket of Dhawan, who got beaten while attempting a sweep shot, ending his innings on 17(12).
- Jitesh Sharma and Sam Curran stabilized the innings, but Saini broke their partnership by dismissing Jitesh for a score of 44(28).
- With the win, RR stays alive in the tournament while PBKS are out of IPL playoffs.
IPL Next Match
We have two matches on Saturday for Delhi Capitals vs Chennai Super Kings (CSK vs DC) and Kolkata Knight Riders vs Lucknow Super Giants (KKR vs LSG) today on May 20 at Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi and Eden Gardens, Kolkata respectively. Follow live IPL score starting 15 minutes before the match start.