The Joburg Super Kings secured an impressive eight-wicket victory in match 22 of the ongoing SA20 league, thanks in large part to a dominant performance from skipper Faf du Plessis and opening partner Reeza Hendricks.
Electing to field first after winning the toss, the Super Kings got off to a strong start, with early breakthroughs from bowlers Gerald Coetzee and Maheesh Theekshana helping to limit the opposing Durban Super Giants to a total of 178 runs.
- India Maharajas and Asia Lions Set for Thrilling Eliminator Clash in LLC T20 Today
- PSL Final Match Live: Lahore Qalandars, Multan Sultans to lock horns in PSL 2023 final today
- IPL 2023: Top 6 Players Confirmed to Miss Out Due to Injuries and Fitness Issues
- Ishan Kishan and Shubman Gill will be opening, not concerned about Bumrah’s absence: Hardik Pandya
- Sunrisers Hyderabad unveil fiery jersey for IPL 2023 season
Despite a valiant 65-run knock from Heinrich Klaasen and a quickfire 28 runs from Jason Holder, the Super Giants were unable to mount a significant challenge to the Joburg team. Coetzee and Theekshana both finished with impressive bowling figures of 3/21 and 3/30, respectively.
In the second innings, the Super Kings’ chase was led by the veteran du Plessis, who put in a masterful performance at the plate. Alongside Hendricks, the duo amassed a 157-run opening partnership that effectively sealed the victory for Joburg. Du Plessis, in particular, shone, becoming the first player in the SA20 league to score a century with 8 fours and 8 sixes in his knock.
With the victory, the Super Kings solidified their position in the top four of the league standings and are on course to make it to the playoffs. They are currently in 4th with 16 points, 3 points clear of MI Cape Town in 5th. The only factor that might work against them is their poor net run rate, which is -0.923.