Indian middle-order batsman Shreyas Iyer was injured and has been ruled out of the 3-match ODI series against New Zealand. The news came a couple of days ago on November 17th, with a day to go for the 1st ODI against the Kiwis. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Jay Shah released a statement on 17 January.
As per the statement, Iyer has a back injury and will head to the National Cricket Academy (NCA) for further assessments.
- 2007 T20 World Cup hero Joginder Sharma retires from all forms of the game
- Asian Cricket Council to take a call on Asia Cup host nation in next board meeting in March
- WPL 2023: WPL auction to take place on Feb 13th
- Big Bash 2023: Perth Scorchers clinch BBL final for 5th time, beating Brisbane Heat in nail-biting final
- WPL 2023: Mithali raj roped in as a mentor for Gujarat Titans in the WPL
“Team India batter Shreyas Iyer has been ruled out of the upcoming 3-match ODI series against New Zealand due to a back injury. He will be heading to the National Cricket Academy (NCA) for further assessment and management,” BCCI secretary Jay Shah said in an official statement.
Rajat Patidar has been named as the replacement for Shreyas Iyer, with India taking on New Zealand in the 1st ODI.
Iyer played in all the matches in the recently-concluded series against Sri Lanka and scored 38 in his last outing in Trivandrum on January 15. The nature or the extent of the injury was not mentioned in the statement.
In March 2021, Iyer suffered an on-field shoulder injury while fielding that resulted in surgery and kept him out of action for six months.
Here’s the India’s updated ODI squad against New Zealand: Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan (wk), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, KS Bharat (wk), Hardik Pandya (vice-captain), Rajat Patidar, Washington Sundar, Shahbaz Ahmed, Shardul Thakur, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Umran Malik.