Suryakumar Yadav scored a brilliant T20 century in a riveting Indian Premier League (IPL) match against the Gujarat Titans (GT) on Friday. Suryakumar won the ‘Man of the Match’ award for his match-winning century, which he termed one of his best T20 knocks. This particular century carries immense significance for both Suryakumar and the entire Mumbai Indians team.
It marks the first IPL century by a Mumbai Indians player since IPL 2014, a record previously held by West Indies’ Lendl Simmons who accomplished this feat against the Punjab Kings (previously known as Kings XI Punjab) in May 2014.
- LSG vs KKR Result, Match Highlights, IPL Points Table, Man of the Match and Full List of Award Winners of IPL Match 68
- CSK vs DC Result, Match Highlights, IPL Points Table, Man of the Match and Full List of Award Winners of IPL Match 67
- Yashasvi Jaiswal scores 625 runs in single IPL season, tops list of most runs by uncapped players
Moreover, this century also represents the first time since 2011 that a player from the Mumbai Indians franchise has achieved a century on their home ground, the Wankhede Stadium. The last occurrence was when the iconic Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar masterfully hit a 66-ball century against the since-dissolved Kochi Tuskers Kerala in April 2011.
In the IPL 2023 season, Suryakumar has proved his mettle in the 12 matches he has played, scoring a total of 479 runs at an impressive average of 43.54 and a strike rate exceeding 190.83. His outstanding performance includes a century and four half-centuries, with his highest score being an unbeaten 103.
One of my best T20 knocks, says Suryakumar Yadav
Mumbai Indians (MI) batter Suryakumar Yadav has termed his maiden century in the league as one of his best knocks in the shorter format.
“Can say that (was one of my best T20 knocks). Whenever I get runs I think the team should win, most importantly we batted first today and said that we would keep the same tempo when you are chasing 200-220. There was a lot of dew on the ground, it was there from the 7-8th over and I knew what shots to play, I was not thinking about hitting straight, I had two shots in mind – one over fine leg and one over third man. There is lots and lots of practice before the game, so when I come into the game I am very clear and just go express myself,” said Suryakumar in a post-match presentation.
Cricketing fraternity lauds Suryakumar’s IPL century
Following his maiden century in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the Mumbai Indians’ victory over Gujarat Titans, Suryakumar Yadav was widely praised on social media by the cricketing world. Cricketing greats like Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Virender Sehwag, Ian Bishop, Aaron Finch, Liam Livingstone, Mithali Raj, and Shai Hope all lauded Suryakumar’s spectacular batting. Tendulkar particularly noted a six over the third man as a standout shot.
Highlights from Suryakumar Yadav century against GT
- Suryakumar Yadav and Nehal Wadhera rotated the strike brilliantly against the Gujarat bowlers, hitting the loose balls on offer.
- Suryakumar emerged as the dominant batsman when partnered with Vishnu Vinod, smashing boundaries regularly.
- The duo of Suryakumar and Vinod showcased their batting prowess against Alzarri Joseph, hammering him for 15 runs in the 12th over of the game.
- Suryakumar and Vinod displayed great resilience and determination as they brought up their 50-run partnership.
- In the 17th over, Suryakumar brought up his fine fifty in just 32 balls.
- Despite losing new partner Tim David to Rashid Khan, Suryakumar kept the runs flowing, smashing Mohit Sharma for three boundaries and one maximum in an over, gathering 20 runs.
- In the 19th over of the game, Suryakumar continued his onslaught, slamming two boundaries and one maximum off Mohammed Shami’s deliveries, gathering 17 runs.
- On the final ball of the last over, Suryakumar brought up his century with a stunning six, contributing significantly to his team’s total of 218/5.
- Suryakumar won the ‘Man of the Match’ award for his match-winning century.